Lets get the 2013 calendar started! Pics submitted to the forum must be small enough to meet the board upload requirements. However any photo submitted must be saved on your computer in its full format. Min requirements for full page print is 200 DPI with a print size of 8 1/2" x 11". Smaller photos might be considered for collages, just be sure to post the original size when you post your photo here.
If you have any Christmas themed pics submit them here as well. If we are to get the 2013 calendars in time for Christmas this year we`ll have to be prepared ahead of time for the month of December.
I forgot to add that i will post the winning photo each month on my website. Even if a photo is not able to be used in the calendar (because web quality is a lot less detailed then print quality), it will be eligible to win the monthly contest. So, that being said, please submit your pics, print sized or not.
At the bottom of the post indicate the size of your original in small print. you can get that by clicking onto the properties. Save your originals first in full size, then save a web copy and rename it so that you don`t overwrite it.
Some tips for imaging.
- take pics from the dog`s eye level and not your eye level.
- outdoor lighting is always best. for action shots you will need a fast shutter speed, and that means you will also need a lot of good light.
- sun should be behind the photographer. But full direct sun is not desirable as it casts too many shadows. taking pics before and after full sun rise, or on a bright overcast day will give you awesome colour and clarity.
- avoid indoor photos unless you have a great anti-red-eye flash. Setting up surround lighting and aiming your camera`s flash above your dog`s eyes can help reduce red-eye as well.
- watch for your background. Clean up debris and be sure that there isn`t poop and such in the background of the photos. I can photoshop out some of those things, but old junk cars and things of that nature become very time consuming and can`t always be taken out. These things can ruin a great shot, so the background is almost as important as the model.
- think to yourself.. ìs this a photo that I would want hanging on my wall for a month? If not, keep trying.
If you know how to save your files in a CMYK, that would be helpful, but not necessary. I will edit you photos, take out blemishes like grass up the nose, eye goopies, etc. If you need help with that just email me the picture ahead of time.
I`m really excited to see what pics you will all be sending in. ;D
Anyone else who has tips to offer, please add them so that everyone can better their chances of getting their pup`s photos used. I would think that Ian should have a lot to add here?
Last Edit: Jan 3, 2012 12:47:42 GMT -5 by Dobereich
How much time do I have Monica? I bought a new flash but have no clue how to use it. Also my Christmas tree is still up waiting...
Well the December shots might still be usable for the rest of January on the website, but those pics will mainly be considered for the coming December 2012 calendar. You`ve got all of January to submit your January pics. At the end of the month I will start a thread for the next month. I would like the monthly pics in this coming calendar to fit the time of year they fall within. But as I write this I realize that we will get new members along the way that might have great shots for previous months. So I`m thinking about opening-up a thread for `random shots`closer to the end of the year.
Lisa .. that is some crazy weather you are having....we are supposed to have plus temperatures (2-4C) by this Friday, so no doubt most of it will melt...it is really nice this morning walking Dante...clear and crisp...you can hear your feet crunch on the sidewalk..then we had to climb over a snowbank to get to a buried tree...lol...he was thinking "what the ___?"
Kerrie & Barbara Dobereich's Fire Within, TT - Dante sb, mb, lmmtp (dob 11/18/08 F-Litter) Dobereich's Never Say Never, TT-Kazi (dob 01/19/11 N-Litter)